Tuesday, July 2, 2013

July 2

FEAST OF THE VISITATION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY.

THIS Visitation of St. Mary to her cousin "righteous" Elisabeth, was the occasion on which the unborn Baptist did homage to the coming Christ, and the Virgin Mother spake the Magnificat.
   Long ago a lover of "things lovely" suggested to me as an appropriate text for the Salutation: "Righteousness and peace have kissed each other."
   The dear speaker herself was humble and righteous, and has since then entered (I trust) into peace. Yet not for works of righteousness of man's doing, but according to His mercy God saveth all, both first and last, who are or who shall be saved.
   Even the Blessed Virgin said and said truly: "My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. For He hath regarded the lowliness of His handmaiden."

No comments:

Post a Comment